SQL Server on a Domain Controller

Much has been said about installing SQL Server on a domain controller. It’s bad practice. Period. If you wouldn’t believe me, then ask the SQL Server installer…

sqlsetupdcinstallwarning

However, there are naughty little girls and boys such as yours truly, who due to lack of funds would want to do the same, maybe on an Azure instance, just so that you don’t have to pay for two VMs, to do some database development. If you indeed choose to go down this path, the default user accounts that are associated with the various SQL Server services would not fly.

Microsoft, in its Requirements for Installation, state that despite it not being recommended, they will still let one go through with installation. It’s just that you need to ensure that you use a local service account to run the SQL Server services. If you do not heed this “warning” and still go ahead with network services and what not, at one point during installation you would error out, and several components would fail to install. This would result in an uninstall of SQL Server and a retry. Hence to make things simple this is all you need to set as the service accounts, and you are on your way to a successful install at the first go itself…

sqlsetupdcserviceaccounts

Advertisements

Issue Installing SSDT-BI 2013 on Windows 10

So, a week ago, once the initial excitement of having Windows 10 had died down, and the reality of re-installing all of my applications on my PC had dawned, I was busy doing just that. After having installed SQL Server 2014, I turned to SSDT-BI 2013 (SQL Server Data Tools – Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2013). The installation went smooth right until the end, then it failed with the following error:

SSDT-BI 2013 Error on Windows 10
SSDT-BI 2013 Error on Windows 10

 I tried again after removing everything else that had gotten installed with the setup, and downloaded a fresh copy of SSDT-BI 2013, just to make sure that my previous copy was not corrupted — Same issue this time round too. I was sure this never happened on Windows 8.

The error looks like it was missing something. Something that this Visual Studio 2013 shell did not have as a prerequisite.

The Solution

I did not want to spend time looking for the exact problem was, but since I had Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate, I tried installing it with the bare minimum, and then tried installing SSDT-BI 2013. And it worked this time.

It would be nice to know if anyone could figure out what exactly was missing for SSDT-BI to fail.